Tuesday, September 30, 2008

How I Spent My Summer Vacation

There are two things I learned from my summer in Chicago. One, I truly do enjoy Summer if only as a distinct separation between Spring and Autumn. This "summer," I did not get much from Chicago. The weather hardly topped 90 and rarely did I think that the day was hot. Only when I was in Dallas for a week to perform in a friend's wedding did I experience real heat, with temperatures surpassing 105. And Dallas was a great trip all around. I learned more about friendship there than anywhere, but that is for another time, after Africa.

The second thing I learned involves this blog. I realized over the summer I was going to Liberia, I just didn't know how.
Shortly after I heard about the Liberia trip I picked up some additional information from the church. It detailed a little more about what the trip would entail and how much work would be involved. The more I read, the more I became interested. Naturally, I signed up for an informational meeting regarding the trip.

Now, this was a big step. Not because I was deciding to take a trip to another continent (I hadn't made that decision yet). Instead, it was because I really didn't know anyone in my church, aside from the pastor. My church experience entailed showing up for service and leaving shortly after service. Nothing more or less. It isn't easy being the new guy in town, and for some reason or another I don't just jump into a strange situation as myself. I'm a very quiet person until I am comfortable around everyone. Then you can't shut me up. And I know you all can attest to this.

This meeting wasn't a large gathering either, so my apprehension continued to increase. But the more I sat there, the easier I felt being around everyone. I am fairly certain I was the youngest one there. I am typically used to being the youngest one around. Growing up, I was always the youngest. This has gradually changed, however, but not enough to where I am uncomfortably the youngest around. Not until now, that is.
The more I listened about the trip, the more I was able to learn about everyone else. Soon, I was hooked. I knew that I would enjoy this trip no matter who came along and I knew I had to figure out a way to get there. And it wasn't going to be easy. $2,500 was no small figure to raise, especially when you are a bum working on political campaigns.

But, we worked together as a group to get this done. Each meeting became small social gatherings where we supported the overall goal of sending everyone who wanted to go. After that first meeting, you couldn't tell who was going to Africa and who was just there to support those going. It is still amazing to think how much support this place has for its members. This support continued into the "Taste of Africa" fundraiser held, just a few weeks ago, when more money was raised than initially expected.

But that led to the Monday evening e-mail I received, telling me that our group of four, which started at five, had dwindled to two because of external circumstances. And then, of course, came the Tuesday phone call when I found out that I was the only person going to Liberia this time.
Now, the only apprehension I had in going alone was whether I still received the support of the church since I am a new member. That didn't last long, however, as that evening at a class I was enrolled in overwhelmingly supported my decision to go at it alone.

Being new can be an uncomfortable experience if you let it. But to have a small community openly welcome you despite knowing nothing about who you are is a truly grateful encounter. It helps me know that I am doing the right thing and can continue to expand who I am. Just as my August trip to Dallas showed me how great friends can be, Illinois has shown me how great strangers can be, too.

No comments: