Thursday, October 2, 2008

This post has no title

It's amazing to think that in just over a month from now I'll be in Liberia. I will have slept past the hangover of election season, figured out the political makeup of the United States, and taken my first international flight (which I really am excited about since I have always heard how smooth the flights are over the ocean).

I received an e-mail yesterday that puts into perspective how close things are getting. The director of world missions at our church provided an update of things to come. This Sunday, the director of the Liberian mission will be speaking at our church and I was invited to join the rest of the mission committee to a lunch afterwards. Then, on the first of November, I'm going to be attended all the services so the church can send me off on their first trip to Liberia.

I am torn in this situation. Part of me is excited to be taking this trip alone. I'm taking a great step forward by heading out without any real familiarity, no comfort of home or indication of America around. The other part is a little sad that those with whom I've been working towards this trip will not be joining me for various reasons beyond their control. Getting to know these people, even slightly, helped guide me towards taking this trip. But, that is what happened. And in the long run, I won't regret it.

Everything that happens around us dictates our decisions and shapes what experiences we'll gain. That is understood by most everyone. But the way the uncertainty can grow into a great fortune is truly profound. I feel so fortunate to dive into this moment in my life 100 percent. I won't be leaning on anyone else nor can I try to create a shared experience because no one will be around for me to lean on.

What makes it even more intriguing is that so many people at my church will want to know about my experience. I will be their eyes and ears in Liberia, telling them about the great work the mission has been doing in providing the children an opportunity to succeed in their lives and relaying the sights and sounds of families who have a renewed hope because of the hard work of the teachers and the mission director. It will be amazing, and I cannot think of anything else I would rather do in November. I hope others will enjoy experiencing this trip through my words and photos.

No comments: