Saturday, November 1, 2008

One Week Away!

It's almost surreal to think that in one week, I'll be on a plane to Brussels to connect to Monrovia. This is an event that would bring about the highest of anxiousness and excitement, but I'm a roller coaster these days.

I'm trying, as hard as I can to focus on the events at hand. I have an election to finish. I have to go through the motions to make sure I don't do something that hinders our chances there. I have to make sure I take care of the loose ends after the election, including working on the possibilities for after I return. I have to do whatever I can to not get caught up with the thought that one week from now, I'll be somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean on my way to new possibilities.

That's where the little things come in. I'm taking time off from everything tonight to watch the Big Red Rivalry, Oklahoma-Nebraska Football, which is always great fun. It's not a game where you hate the other team but you don't want to lose to them, either. I'll take an hour out of my day leading up to the flight to work out. Just me and the weights, me and the treadmill. I'll even take time out to watch a tv show or two.

I think this is what I need to do to stay grounded. if I take in the little things, then I can truly enjoy the bigger things. No, that's not right...

You cannot have a full life if you don't appreciate even the little things. Living through the big events gives such a gaping hole throughout your life, so you have to take the time out to do the small stuff. Watch a movie, take a walk in the park, and enjoy it all. This is what I'm trying to do as I get closer to my trip. This is what I hope to do while I am in Liberia. If I don't, then I could miss out on so much.

That's about all for tonight. I don't expect to write much the next few days, but I'll get back into things after the election. I implore everyone to vote. Elections are always important for our nation, and this one is too. I don't feel it is right to tell anyone who to vote for, although I have my preferences. Look at the issues and where the candidates stand on the issues. Don't listen to the press, read their own statements and determine who stands with your opinions. And pray that whoever wins does what is right for this country and not just for their party. Partisanship only should exist during the campaign, not in the execution of our government.

No comments: